Thursday, January 21, 2010

Is there a MINIMUM wait time at the ER?

Joshua woke up and coughed a few times. Then he just started screaming...inconsolably! Then, on top of that, he was coughing and spitting up phlem. He was blue in the face and he was "gurgling" when he took a breath! It freaked me out, so to the ER we went. However, it is impossible to get out of the ER in less than 3 hours.


I mean, SERIOUSLY, people! We came in, the ER was completely empty! I told you that my absolutely precious, irreplaceable baby cannot breathe and has been crying uncontrollably! So what do you do? You say, "Okay, sit here for 16 hours and fill out these papers..." We absolutely MUST know (in no particular order)....Your mother's maiden name, baby's shoe size, his daddy's height, any past illnesses/medicine or food allergies (Food allergies, lady? Really?) He's not even 3 months old! What food allergies could he possibly have at this point?! We finally get to triage (where he is weighed and weighs a whopping 14 lbs now!). Then we move on to wait for the nurse/doctor/x-ray technician... So here is how the night goes...


I changed his diaper before going back to the room. The x-ray tech comes in and says I'll have to undress him (and again, I have to change his diaper.) The guy lays a small black mat on a baby bed (if you can call it that...I'll explain in a moment!) So I put my handsome little man in the arms of the x-ray tech who then puts him on the ridiculously cold mat. Joshua starts to scream....I don't mean scream like, "hey this isn't cool. Please pick me up!" I mean scream, like, "OMG! They are trying to kill me! My mom obviously doesn't like me very much and just wants to torture me!" First shots kinda scream! I felt horrible. I cried.


Next, the nurse came in to draw blood. So she put him on the hospital bed. Then she tied that stupid rubberband thing around his arm so tight that it turned purple. Again, he screamed. I cried. The lady had one arm that was way shorter than the other (I know I know! Horrible of me for noticing!) So it took her twice as long to take his blood! He screamed! I cried! It was torture. There was nothing I could do so I cried and tried to talk to him. His response? He continued to scream.


We finally got out of there, and the result wasn't as bad as I expected, yet it wasn't as good as I hoped for. Joshua has an upper respiratory infection. 7 days of antibiotics and cough medicine (grape and bubble gum flavored). By the time we got home from driving 45 minutes in the opposite direction of our house (to get to an all-night pharmacy), he was feeling a lot better. He doesn't mind taking his medicine which makes it a lot better on me and him! Hopefully he'll be completely better SOON!


So now back to this baby bed....it was metal (like silver metal that they use for old hospital beds. It was built just like a regular baby bed, but the "drop" side had a little door in it (not sure what that's used for). It was scary and reminded me of a mental institution for babies or something... I could have nightmares about it....here's a similar pic of it. Just imagine it without the blue plastic pieces and the white cover on top of it. It was also bigger and bulkier...

No comments:

Post a Comment