Friday, January 1, 2010

The Beginning of it All

So, I'm not so sure where I should start. I guess I'll start off with the purpose of this blog, how it came to be, and how it will (hopefully) help me save my sanity.

I'm Crystal, a 23 year old college student (taking an extended break), aspiring writer, Mexican food junky, wife, (previously) addicted facebooker, and finally, perhaps the most important role I play, mother.

Josh, the husband, is 24, a college student (also on a break), baseball addict (well, other than that...sports in general), technology junky, husband, and father.

Joshua is the tiny miracle that was brought into our lives on October 22, 2009. His current passions are (in order of ranking from high to low): Food, Mommy & Daddy Time, Time with the grandparents (and when he isn't cranky, other family), and his new puppy, Scout (a Leapfrog toy).

Josh and I started dating in January of 2004, my senior year of high school. We left our families together to go off to school 3 hours away. We spent every waking moment together and decided to get married in 2006 (June 3). A few short months after our wedding (5 months to be exact), we lost almost everything in a house fire. We moved in with my mom, and Josh pledged a fraternity.

After 3 changes to the career goals and five years in college, a few skipped classes, a couple of failed classes, and the stresses of outside life, Josh and I found out in February of 2009 that we were expecting. Josh finished up the semester and I decided to take a break until after the baby was born. I, fortunately, had a relatively easy pregnancy, and baby Joshua was born on October 22, 2009. He's the biggest blessing I have ever received, and at times, I still think I'm dreaming.

Well late in the pregnancy, we decided that we would move back home for a while (something I SWORE I would never do) so that we could have some help and save some money. Joshua came, we left the hospital, and went straight to my dad's. A three hour drive at that point was not a fun move. However, little did I know, that was just the beginning. The next months would potentially be miserable, crowded, annoying, exhausting, frustrating, and I'm sure there are a few more adjectives that I'm missing here.

I know that everyone has the best intentions. They're trying to make things easier for me. They want me to learn from THEIR experiences. They just wanna help and yada yada yada, but frankly, it's getting to the point where I would like to pull all my hair out or pop them with a rubberband when I see them open their mouths.

Living with my dad and step-mom (Terri) was never the best idea to begin with...Okay, it wasn't even a fairly decent idea. Terri and I didn't get along at all pre-college, and because of that, my dad and I didn't really see eye-to-eye. At times, things got bad, and eventually I decided that I wouldn't even stay the night when Josh and I came home to visit. We would stay across the street at my mamaw's, or 15 minutes away at Josh's parents, or 30 minutes away at my friend (my bestie), Nikki's house....anything so we didn't stay at daddy and Terri's because I just didn't feel like I was wanted there.

After a few years, a little maturity on my part, and the ability to leave when I got too annoyed or pissed, Terri and I started getting along a lot better. Not perfect, by any means, but I didn't feel the urge to scream whenever I saw her. Well, apparently the pregnancy brain took away my judgement. We've been here a little over two months, and already, I would like to jump off an extremely tall building (a skyscraper, the Eiffel Tower...at this point, anything)! However, the tallest building around, for miles and miles, is two stories. Not only would it not get the job done or relieve my frustration and chronic annoyance, but I would be too exhausted to get to the second floor so I wouldn't even be able to jump.

Terri is the type of person who has the best-behaved children, always wears a dress to church, is the best cook for miles and miles, would never dream of taking the baby out in a sleeper. (He needs a suit for church). She knows the absolute best home remedies for pretty much everything (Okay, okay EVERYTHING). I was being modest. She's the type of person who cleans for hours and hours (after a hard days work) yet, somehow, no one ever sees her lift a finger (other than to cook dinner). She would rather completely ignore a person who talks to her than to express displeasure with them (although she is quick to spread the word that I'm not living up to her standards.

I never keep the house clean enough, I don't worship the ground she walks on, I don't follow her instructions on how to take care of MY baby, so I get bitched about, ignored, and eventually bitched at by my dad. So, in short, I figured maybe this blog will be a good way to try to keep my sanity....

Or maybe it's time to push someone else off a tall building.

No comments:

Post a Comment